|Extended Validation ("green bar")||No||No||No||Yes|
|Transaction warranty||No||No||Up to $250,000||Up to $250,000|
|Automated certificate management||Yes||No||No||No|
|Can be used||On Simple Hosting||Everywhere||Everywhere||Everywhere|
|Single address||Free||$20.48 per year||$60.16 per year||$460.80 per year|
|Wildcard||$204.80 per year||$435.20 per year|
|Multi-domain||$64.00 per year||$812.80 per year|
More info about the SSL EV Certificate
What is the difference between a regular SSL certificate and an SSL EV certificate?
There exist various levels of security available. The SSL EV certificate (or SSL Business certificate), offers the highest degree of security as it requires the most extensive verification of your identity. The "EV" in "SSL EV certificate" stands for "extended validation." This refers to the fact that an SSL EV certificate is only issued following a more rigorous validation process that includes verifying the existence of the business for which the certificate is issued. That's why the SSL EV certificate is also referred to as the SSL Business certificate.
Thanks to this solution, the company which owns the website can guarantee to its visitors its identity is accurately represented. Many browsers will give the user additional visual cues assuring them of a secure connection when this type of certificate is present, which is indispensable for safe online purchases. Several clues will reveal the presence of an SSL EV Certificate:
- A green inset (the text is displayed in green letters or the whole bar is green, depending on the browser) in the URL bar,
- ‘https://’ appears alongside a padlock icon,
- The name of the company or organization that owns the website,
- The name of the Certificate Authority.
Who is an SSL Business certificate for?
Any time an additional proof of your identity may help gain the confidence of internet users, an SSL EV Certificate (also called an SSL Business Certificate) can be helpful. For some entities – such as banks, for instance – an SSL Business Certificate is even mandatory. For others – such as e-commerce sites – it may be less necessary. Organizations that might be the target of phishing attacks should be sure to use an SSL EV Certificate. This is particularly true for major brands wishing to demonstrate to their customers that the website they are visiting is indeed their official website, and not the website of an impersonator. An SSL EV certificate or SSL Business certificate offers this additional security and protection.
What are the advantages of an SSL Business certificate?
From the perspective of an internet user, an SSL EV certificate is reassuring. It offers guarantees as to a company’s reliability and trustworthiness, particularly when it comes to online purchases.
For a website owner, this translates into better conversion rates and customer loyalty thanks to improved credibility. Gandi’s SSL Business certificate comes with a security breach warranty in the event that the SSL EV certificate is responsible. You may also opt for a multi-domain version which will allow you to secure several domains under the same SSL Business certificate.
FAQ / frequently asked questions
How do I install an SSL certificate?
Customers who have a domain name at Gandi or a Web Hosting instance can also benefit from a free, standard certificate that can be automatically installed on each of the sites you've defined in your instance.
- Go to your Simple Hosting admin page, select the instance where you have the site you want to secure
- Generate your free SSL certificate
- The automatic creation and installation process for your SSL certificate does the rest
What is an SSL certificate for?
An SSL certificate lets you protect a web address, or a group of web addresses, in the case of Wildcard SSL and Multi-domain SSL certificates. Secure your transactions and give your users peace of mind. Customers who have Gandi hosting can get a free SSL certificate that can be automatically installed on each of the sites they've defined in their instance.
SSL certificates also come in three tiers of protection: the SSL standard certificate, the SSL professional certificate, and the SSL EV certificate, also known as the SSL Business certificate.
Which type of SSL certificate should I choose?
Here's what each type of SSL certificate that we offer is used for:
- Standard SSL certificate: protects websites that don't make financial transactions
- Wildcard SSL certificate: protects several websites that don't make financial transactions
- Multi-domain SSL certificate: secures an administrative interface, a members space, an intranet, a webmail portal, etc.
- Professional SSL certificate: secures a website that makes financial transactions or exchanges sensitive information. This type of certificate is only available for businesses or other legal entities
- SSL Business certificate (SSL EV Certificate): protects certain organizations that may be the target of attacks, like banks, for example, or large brands that want to reassure their customers that they are visiting their official website rather than a look-alike trying to steal their information. The SSL EV certificate is only available for organizations with a "Business" type account or any other legal entity.