|Extended Validation ("green bar")||No||No||No||Yes|
|Transaction warranty||No||No||Up to $250,000||Up to $250,000|
|Automated certificate management||Yes||No||No||No|
|Can be used||On Simple Hosting||Everywhere||Everywhere||Everywhere|
|Single address||Free||$16.00 per year||$47.00 per year||$360.00 per year|
|Wildcard||$160.00 per year||$340.00 per year|
|Multi-domain||$50.00 per year||$635.00 per year|
More info on multi domain SSL certificates
What can be secured with a multi domain SSL certificate?
Multi domain SSL certificates are useful for protecting sensitive data such as:
- Customer registration and identification data on a website (name, address, password, email, phone number, etc.),
- Customers’ payment information (credit card, bank details, etc.),
- Data entry forms present on the website,
- Documents the customers can download,
- Data storage.
What's the difference between multi domain SSL and the other types of SSL certificates?
More and more companies make use of both multi domain SSL and other SSL certificate types for various reasons. Generally speaking, SSL certificates are a means of:
- Providing a high level of data confidentiality,
- Reinforcing the confidence of Internet users in a website's legitimacy.
Extended Validation (EV) SSL certificates for businesses are available and make it possible to:
- Verify the legal and physical existence of the company,
- Check that the information conveyed about the company (its address, for example) is accurate,
- Check that the domain name does, in fact, belong to the company,
- Check that the company has given its permission to generate the certificate,
- Limit the risk of being targeted by a phishing attack.
As for the multidomain SSL certificate, it is useful for companies that have a list of addresses they want to cover using a single certificate. Multi-domain SSL certificates are used for several, discreet domain names, whereas for multiple addresses using the same domain name, there are wildcard certificates.
What are the advantages of multi domain SSL certificates?
Available in Standard and Business versions, a multi domain SSL certificate can prove more cost effective than purchasing and managing multiple single-address certificates. Gandi offers four multidomain SSL certificate package sizes to respectively secure:
- A maximum of 3 domains,
- A maximum of 5 domains,
- A maximum of 10 domains,
- A maximum of 20 domains.
Each address counts as a domain and will be deducted from the total number of addresses purchased in your multi domain SSL certificate. It's possible, then, to protect ‘www.example.com’, ‘shop.example.com’, ‘www.example.net’, ‘shop.example.net,’ etc. with a single multidomain SSL certificate.
You can regenerate your multi domain SSL certificate to modify the number of addresses covered or the addresses themselves whenever you need to. That enables you to add or remove secondary addresses from your multidomain SSL certificate should you wish to do so. The main address, however, is used to generate the multi domain SSL certificate's CSR and so it can’t be modified.
Regenerating a multi domain SSL certificate is simple. It can be done automatically or manually: with this option, you'll be able to select new alternate addresses for your multidomain SSL certificate.
FAQ / frequently asked questions
What is a multidomain SSL certificate for?
An SSL certificate enables you to protect a web address, or a group of web addresses, in the case of Wildcard and Multi domain SSL certificates. Secure your transactions and give your users peace of mind. Customers who have Gandi hosting can get a free SSL certificate that can be automatically installed on each of the sites they've defined in their instance.
How do I secure my domain with HTTPS?
To get a URL starting with https and to secure your website, you can add any of the following SSL certificate types:
- Standard SSL certificate
- Free SSL certificate
- Wildcard SSL certificate
- Pro SSL certificate
- Business (EV) certificate
You also have the choice of whether to get a single-domain SSL certificate, a wildcard SSL certificate, or a multidomain SSL certificate.
What does a multidomain SSL certificate contain?
Gandi's SSL certificates, whether single-address, wildcard, or multi domain SSL certificates, provide assurances of the security of your site by displaying:
- A green box in the address bar (either the text is shown in green letters or the entire bar is green, depending on the browser)
- «https: //» appears with a chain icon
- The name of the owner of the website
- The name of the Certificate Authority (CA)
Which type of SSL certificate should I choose?
Here's what each type of SSL certificate that we offer is used for:
- Standard SSL certificate: protects websites that don't make financial transactions
- Wildcard SSL certificate: protects several websites that don't make financial transactions
- Multidomain SSL certificate: secures an administrative interface, a members space, an intranet, a webmail portal, etc.
- Professional SSL certificate: secures a website that makes financial transactions or exchanges sensitive information. This type of certificate is only available for businesses or other legal entities
- Business SSL certificate (EV): protects certain organizations that may be the target of attacks, like banks, for example, or large brands that want to reassure their customers that they are visiting their official website rather than a look-alike trying to steal their information. This type of certificate is only available for organizations with a "Business" type account or any other legal entity.