Rules and particularities of .jp domain names
Terms and Conditions
Attribution: .JP domain names are open to persons having a local presence in Japan (local owner or administrative contact). Gandi will provide you with a local administrative contact automatically and free of charge if necessary.
Syntax: from 3 to 63 alphanumeric characters or hyphen (other than in the first or last place)
IDN (accented domain name): yes
Registration period: 1 year
Second-level extensions: no
Renewal: no later than 7 days before the expiration date
Disputes: policy (JP-DRP)
Transfer (change of Registrar): the process is started on the new registrar's interface and may differ depending the new and current registrar process.
To transfer a domain name to Gandi, the following process applies:
- Gandi sends a confirmation email to the registrant that must be accepted within 5 days,
- Then our partner for .JP domain names will send another email confirmation to the email address published in Whois database and to a working generic email address with the domain name that must be approved within 14 days by at least one of the above recipients,
- Then the current registrar has to accept or reject the transfer request within 10 days, otherwise the transfer will be rejected. So depending on the current registrar process, another confirmation email may be required by the current registrar.
The effective transfer to Gandi does not change the expiration date.
To transfer a domain name out of Gandi, you must follow the new registrar transfer process. Be sure to unlock the domain name, otherwise the transfer request will be rejected by our .JP partner. Gandi sends a confirmation email to the holder, if it is not validated within 9 days, the transfer-out will be rejected.
Change of Ownership: the process requires Gandi's owner change form and accompanying proofs of ID Expiration. The expiration date remains unchanged.
Deletion process: if the domain name is not renewed in time it will be deleted by the registry, see this table. The restoration may be possible in some cases. Please contact our customer service department.
Frequently Asked Questions
What hosting plan should I choose?
Gandi offers several different types of quality web hosting that are easy to use:
How do I choose the right domain for me?
Explore our various services:
- Check the domain availability of your ideal domain name with our domain search tool
- See all the domain name extensions (over 750) we offer
- new domain name extensions
- WHOIS: view publicly available domain name information
How can I secure my website?
To help secure your website, make use of an SSL certificate from among our offer :
What solutions do you have for online file storage?
We make the Nextcloud open-source platform easy to install and use. It lets you store, share, and easily engage in collaborative work. It's a great way to control your data online.