An SSL certificate lets you protect a web address, or a group of web addresses, in the case of Wildcard and Multi-domain certificates. Secure your transactions and give your users peace of mind. Customers who have Gandi hosting can get a free SSL certificate that can be automatically installed on each of the sites they've defined in their instance.
Why do I need an SSL certificate?
Using an SSL certificate on your website guarantees that every piece of data transferred between your users and your server is protected and unaltered. Because SSL certificates are a ubiquitous part of the modern web ecosystem, not using an SSL certificate on your website might cause people to view your site as unprofessional, and could also pose a potential security risk.
Get a free Standard SSL Certificate with every new domain name you register with us
Register your domain name at Gandi from among the hundreds of different domain name endings (TLDs) in our catalog, and once you’ve completed the domain name registration process, you will automatically qualify for a free Standard SSL certificate.
You can then place your order for a Standard SSL Certificate, and a 100% discount will immediately be applied to your order. Then, your SSL certificate will go through an online validation process and become available very shortly afterwards.
You can use your SSL certificate anywhere you like. It is not limited to use with Gandi Simple Hosting. Gandi’s Standard SSL Certificate encrypts data at the most secure level while also being compatible with every modern web browser (IE/Edge, Firefox, Chrome…).
When your free SSL certificate is about to expire, you will have the opportunity to purchase a Standard SSL Certificate to renew your existing certificate and ensure that it continues to work for another full year.
What is the Free SSL Certificate that is included with every Simple Hosting plan?
Every Simple Hosting instance may include an unlimited number of free SSL certificates. These certificates are only compatible with domain names linked to a Simple Hosting instance, meaning that they can only be used with websites hosted on our platform.
Unlike our other Free SSL Certificate offer which is included with every new domain name purchase, these SSL certificates remain free as long as you’re subscribed to our Simple Hosting solution. They are renewed automatically, for free, without further action needed on your part.
You can check if your SSL certificate is working properly at any time, by just opening up your website in a modern web browser. If you see the "https" prefix instead of the non-secure "http", and a lock icon next to it, then your SSL certificate is valid and correctly installed.
Our SSL certificates are also perfectly compatible with domain names with accented characters, like in languages like French or German. That way, you can maintain a high degree of flexibility without ever having to compromise when it comes to your non-English speaking visitors and customers.
FAQ/frequently asked questions
What is an SSL certificate for?
How do I host a website?
- We provide hosting services of different sizes corresponding to your site's traffic.
- Once you have hosting, you will have an FTP server address (email@example.com), a user (username), and a password.
- You can then upload your site's files to the server.
- In order for your site to have an address, you'll also need to buy a domain name
What does an SSL certificate contain?
Gandi's SSL certificates provide assurances of the security of your site by displaying:
- A green box in the address bar (either the text is shown in green letters or the entire bar is green, depending on the browser)
- "https: //" appears with a chain icon
- The name of the owner of the website
- The name of the Certificate Authority (CA)
Which type of SSL certificate should I choose?
Here's what each type of SSL certificate that we offer is used for:
- Standard SSL certificate: protects websites that don't make financial transactions
- Wildcard SSL certificate: protects several websites that don't make financial transactions
- Multi-domain SSL certificate: secures an administrative interface, a members space, an intranet, a webmail portal, etc.
- Professional SSL certificate: secures a website that makes financial transactions or exchanges sensitive information. This type of certificate is only available for businesses or other legal entities
- Business SSL certificate (EV): protects certain organizations that may be the target of attacks, like banks, for example, or large brands that want to reassure their customers that they are visiting their official website rather than a look-alike trying to steal their information. This type of certificate is only available for organizations with a "Business" type account or any other legal entity.