More info on our free SSL certificates
Why do I need an SSL (TLS) certificate?
Using an SSL (TLS) certificate on your website guarantees that every piece of data transferred between your users and your server is protected and free from corruption. A TLS or SSL certificate makes it possible to verify the relationship between the domain name to which it is associated and its owner. In addition, this SSL certificate ensures the confidentiality of communications by encrypting all information exchanged. The https protocol provides this guarantee (as opposed to http). Because SSL (TLS) certificates are a ubiquitous part of the modern web ecosystem, not using them on your website might send a negative signal to your website visitors who may be discouraged by their browser from loading these pages. A free SSL certificate, then, also makes it possible for you to take advantage of the https protocol for free and put your website's security on display.
Get free https with every new domain name you register with Gandi
Register your domain name at Gandi by choosing from among the hundreds of different domain name endings (TLDs) in our catalog, and once you’ve completed the domain name registration process, you will automatically qualify for a free SSL (TLS) certificate using the Standard validation method, enabling you to use free HTTPS for free on your website.
You can then add a free SSL certificate to your order, and a 100% discount will immediately be applied to your order. Then, this free SSL certificate will go through an online validation process and become available to use for free HTTPS in just a few minutes.
You are not limited to using this free SSL certificate with Gandi's Web Hosting and you can implement the HTTPS protocol for free anywhere you like. It is not limited to use with Gandi Web Hosting. Gandi’s Standard free SSL certificate encrypts data at the most secure level while also being compatible with every modern web browser (Edge, Firefox, Chrome…).
When your free SSL certificate is about to expire, you will have the opportunity to purchase a Standard SSL Certificate to renew your existing certificate and ensure that it continues to work for another full year.
Does the web hosting pack include a free SSL certificate?
Your Web Hosting instance at Gandi can also provide you with an HTTPS address for free. If you are currently subscribed to a web hosting pack, you can create an unlimited number of SSL certficates, so that you can implement the HTTPS protocol on all of your websites hosted on your instance.
Unlike our other free SSL Certificate included with every new domain name purchase, this type of free SSL certificate remains free as long as you’re subscribed to our Web Hosting solution. They are renewed automatically, for free, without further action needed on your part.
You can check if your free SSL certificate is working properly at any time, by just opening up your website in a modern web browser. If you see the "HTTPS" prefix instead of the non-secure "HTTP", and a lock icon next to it, then your free SSL certificate is valid and correctly installed.
This free HTTPS certificate is also perfectly compatible with domain names with accented characters, like in languages such as French or German. That way, the HTTPS website address you enjoy thanks to your free SSL certificate doesn't have to compromise when it comes to your non-English speaking visitors and customers.
FAQ/frequently asked questions
What is an SSL certificate for?
An SSL certificate helps you protect a web address, or a group of web addresses, in the case of Wildcard and Multi-domain certificates. Secure your transactions and reassure your users that their data will be handled with the utmost security. Customers who have Gandi hosting can get a free SSL certificate that can be automatically installed on each of the sites they've defined in their instance for a free HTTPS address.
How do I host a website?
- We provide hosting services of different sizes corresponding to your site's traffic.
- Once you have hosting, you will have an FTP server address (firstname.lastname@example.org), a user (username), and a password.
- You can then upload your site's files to the server.
- In order for your site to be able to have an address, you'll also need to buy a domain name
What does an SSL certificate contain?
Gandi's free SSL certificate provides assurances of the security of your site by displaying:
- "https: //" appears with a chain icon
- The name of the owner of the website
- The name of the Certificate Authority (CA)
Which type of SSL certificate should I choose?
Here's what each type of SSL certificate that we offer is used for:
- Standard SSL certificate: protects websites that don't make financial transactions. This is the only type available as a free SSL certificate
- Wildcard SSL certificate: protects several websites that don't make financial transactions
- Multi-domain SSL certificate: secures an administrative interface, a members space, an intranet, a webmail portal, etc.
- Professional SSL certificate: secures a website that makes financial transactions or exchanges sensitive information. This type of certificate is only available for businesses or other legal entities
- Business SSL certificate (EV): protects certain organizations that may be the target of attacks, like banks, for example, or large brands that want to reassure their customers that they are visiting their official website rather than a look-alike trying to steal their information. This type of certificate is only available for organizations with a "Business" type account or any other legal entity.