More info on our free SSL certificates
Why do I need an SSL (TLS) certificate?
Using an SSL (TLS) certificate on your website guarantees that every piece of data transferred between your users and your server is protected and unaltered. A TLS or SSL certificate is what enables connections to your website using https instead of http. Because SSL (TLS) certificates are a ubiquitous part of the modern web ecosystem, not using an SSL (TLS) certificate on your website might cause people to view your site as unprofessional, and could also pose a potential security risk. A free SSL certificate, then, also provides free https that helps to secure your website.
Get free https with every new domain name you register with us
Register your domain name at Gandi from among the hundreds of different domain name endings (TLDs) in our catalog, and once you’ve completed the domain name registration process, you will automatically qualify for a free SSL (TLS) certificate using the Standard validation method, enabling you to use free HTTPS on your website.
You can then place your order for a standard, free SSL certificate, and a 100% discount will immediately be applied to your order. Then, your free SSL certificate will go through an online validation process and become available to use for free HTTPS very shortly afterward.
You can use your free SSL certificate for free HTTPS anywhere you like. It is not limited to use with Gandi Web Hosting. Gandi’s Standard free SSL certificate encrypts data at the most secure level while also being compatible with every modern web browser (IE/Edge, Firefox, Chrome…).
When your free SSL certificate is about to expire, you will have the opportunity to purchase a Standard SSL Certificate to renew your existing certificate and ensure that it continues to work for another full year.
What is the free SSL Certificate that is included with every Simple Hosting plan?
Every Web Hosting instance may include an unlimited number of free SSL certificates for free HTTPS on all your websites hosted at Gandi. These SSL (TLS) certificates are only compatible with domain names linked to a Hosting instance, meaning that you can only use this free HTTPS option with websites hosted on our platform.
Unlike our other free SSL Certificate offer which is included with every new domain name purchase, this type of free SSL certificate remains free as long as you’re subscribed to our Web Hosting solution. They are renewed automatically, for free, without further action needed on your part.
You can check if your free SSL certificate is working properly at any time, by just opening up your website in a modern web browser. If you see the "HTTPS" prefix instead of the non-secure "HTTP", and a lock icon next to it, then your free SSL certificate is valid and correctly installed.
Our SSL certificates are also perfectly compatible with domain names with accented characters, like in languages such as French or German. That way, you can maintain a high degree of flexibility with your free HTTPS without ever having to compromise when it comes to your non-English speaking visitors and customers.
FAQ/frequently asked questions
What is an SSL certificate for?
An SSL certificate helps you protect a web address, or a group of web addresses, in the case of Wildcard and Multi-domain certificates. Secure your transactions and give your users peace of mind. Customers who have Gandi hosting can get a free SSL certificate that can be automatically installed on each of the sites they've defined in their instance for free HTTPS navigation.
How do I host a website?
- We provide hosting services of different sizes corresponding to your site's traffic.
- Once you have hosting, you will have an FTP server address (email@example.com), a user (username), and a password.
- You can then upload your site's files to the server.
- In order for your site to have an address, you'll also need to buy a domain name
What does an SSL certificate contain?
Gandi's free SSL certificate provides assurances of the security of your site by displaying:
- A green box in the address bar (either the text is shown in green letters or the entire bar is green, depending on the browser)
- "https: //" appears with a chain icon
- The name of the owner of the website
- The name of the Certificate Authority (CA)
Which type of SSL certificate should I choose?
Here's what each type of SSL certificate that we offer is used for:
- Standard SSL certificate: protects websites that don't make financial transactions. This is the only type available as a free SSL certificate
- Wildcard SSL certificate: protects several websites that don't make financial transactions
- Multi-domain SSL certificate: secures an administrative interface, a members space, an intranet, a webmail portal, etc.
- Professional SSL certificate: secures a website that makes financial transactions or exchanges sensitive information. This type of certificate is only available for businesses or other legal entities
- Business SSL certificate (EV): protects certain organizations that may be the target of attacks, like banks, for example, or large brands that want to reassure their customers that they are visiting their official website rather than a look-alike trying to steal their information. This type of certificate is only available for organizations with a "Business" type account or any other legal entity.