What is a VPS?
A VPS is a Virtual Private Server, it is a real server on which the user has all administrative rights (root) and that they are free to configure according to their needs. When we say a VPS is a virtual server, that is to say that the server is in reality a virtual machine, itself hosted on a physical server, divided into several virtual machines. Each virtual machine has resources (CPU, RAM, disks) dedicated to its operation. You can find any type of VPS configuration, from the smallest server (1CPU, 1Go RAM) if you want to deploy a website to very powerful configurations, to host an application or a critical database (MySQL, Redis , Elastic Search, ...)
Who are the VPS servers for?
A VPS server offers great freedom in both its use and customization. For web developers, it offers access to a completely dedicated virtual server and total control over all its software and functionalities. VPS hosting is an inexpensive option that enables you to enjoy all the benefits of a dedicated server for a fraction of the cost.
By opting for a GandiCloud VPS solution, then, you will benefit from a virtual machine on which you can install the Linux distribution of your choice from among several options we offer.
Then, it's up to you to configure this operating system as you see fit, install the programming environment you need to develop your websites and online applications, and ensure that it is properly secured.
VPS hosting, then, is a product intended for advanced users seeking to obtain maximum performance and personalization for their online server. It is designed to give you the exact same experience as if you had your own personal machine, that you would have full access to and full control of.
VPS server for SME
If you are a Small- or Medium-sized Enterprise looking for a versatile server to host your site, your emails, and your customer management software, using a VPS server can be a very profitable option because by sharing your applications on a single server you save costs. In addition, the flexibility you have in choosing the configuration of your VPS guarantees that you have enough power to run your applications.
Be careful, though, to ensure the security of your server and set up a good backup policy.
VPS or Dedicated Server?
There is no single answer to this question. It will depend on your current needs but also on their potential future evolution. If what you need is maximum power, it is generally considered to be the case that a dedicated server, without a virtualization layer, offers a better performance to price ratio. However, virtualization at the base of a VPS server offers two major advantages:
- The storage arrangement already offers a level of data replication, where dedicated servers do not always offer two disks, necessary to set up a RAID1 on the disks, to replicate the data.
- The second huge benefit offered by virtualization is the flexibility it can provide. On a dedicated server, if your power needs increase, and your server is no longer powerful enough, you will have to order a new server and carry out an often costly and risky migration of your applications. On a VPS you can easily update the configuration, and increase the power of the server in only a few minutes from the VPS interface.
And if you prefer a simple solution for hosting a site to the ability to configure everything yourself without limits, our Simple Hosting offer might be for you.
Deploy your GandiCloud VPS
Activate your access to GandiCloud an create server with in a minute.Discover GandiCloud VPS ⛵️
Which VPS server should you choose?
You should choose the configuration of your VPS server according to your expected use:
- To perform tests, or host a simple static site: a VPS V-R1 with 1 CPU and 1 GB of RAM will suffice
- To host a web server with a CMS (WordPress, Magento, Prestashop, ..) enriched with additional modules, it will be better to opt for a VPS V-R2 with 1 CPU and 2 GB of RAM
- To deploy a professional application, an ERP or a CRM, a VPS V-R4 with 2 CPU and 4 GB of RAM will suffice initially
- For an application requiring computing power, you can directly opt for a VPS V-R8 with 4 CPU and 8 GB of RAM.
Here again, the advantage of virtualization means that you do not have to risk starting with a configuration that's too light: 1 CPU and 2 GB of RAM for example.
GandiCloud: A cheap and efficient VPS
For a cheap VPS, you will find at Gandi a V-R1 server with 1CPU and 1GB of RAM for only 5 € HT per month. For this price you benefit from a versatile configuration, which will meet the majority of needs. Technical support is free, and you don't have a long-term commitment.
Your server will be created within a minute or two after purchasing it, allowing you to get started with setting it up as quickly as possible. You have root access, meaning you have full control over your entire operating system and its applications.
You have 3 TB of traffic per month with all GandiCloud VPS servers. Billing is monthly and postpaid, so you only pay for the resources you have consumed.
Regarding the physical maintenance of the dedicated servers on which your VPS hosting is located, Gandi ensures their perfect condition and guarantees you an annual availability of your VPS cloud of at least 99.95%. In the event that you encounter a problem, please know that we provide free technical support that you can contact at any time.